Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Family Traditions

The last couple of weeks at school we have been talking about family traditions during the holidays. I sent home a letter to parents for them to sign up for a 20 minute time period to come to school and share one of their families favorite traditions. I was actually surprised at the response. Everyday, we have had at least two families share sometimes as many as four. What also has surprised me is the number of dads that come with their wives to share. It has been a lot of fun for me to see the different things that other families do to bring in the spirit of the holiday. Last Friday, my mom and dad actually came into my class and helped me share one of my favorite family traditions. The thing I remember most about the holidays is getting matching pajamas on Christmas Eve with my four sisters. Then we would all have a big slumber party in one of our rooms and stay up all night. I showed my kids some pictures of me as a kid with my sisters in front of the tree in our pajamas. They got a real kick out of that. Here are some of the pictures that I shared.

1985

1989

1998

2004


Pretty Funny Huh!!!
Another one of my favorite traditions is making Almond Rocca. Maybe it's because I love eating it so much. Well for Family Night last night I taught Hannah how to make it. her job was to sprinkle the almonds on the pan before we poured the candy on the sheet and after the chocolate was melted. She thought this was the coolest thing ever. After a while she looked at me and said, "Mom, thanks for making candy with me." She is so sweet I know. I told her that it was a lot of fun for me and that I used to do it with my mom when I was little. Then she says, "And now I'm doing it with my mom!" It was really sweet and it made me realize how Thankful I am for families and the times that we spend together. So please comment and share some of the things that you do with your family to make the holidays a little more special.

Mom and Hannah making candy

Dad gets the hard job of stirring the candy forever. Like I said I am out of shape

2 comments:

Jamy said...

Hey! You have a blog too!!! I just can't get over how beautiful Hannah's dress is! She looks like an angel! Okay, that candy you brought? It was SOOOOOOOOOO good! I'm almost glad Christmas is almost over because I've been eating WAY too much candy. Hahaha.. Anyways, if you'd like an invite to my blog, send me your e-mail address @ jamybailey@hotmail.com. Oh and can I add your blog to my blog list? I'm so glad you have a blog!

Kellybean said...

MMMM... Thanks for the candy, they are yummies!
We had the same tradition with jammies too. I should find our pics. too.