Thursday, April 9, 2009

The sick continues...

So it has been close to a week since Hannah got sick.  We went to the doctor on Tuesday, and he said that she just has the flu.  I say just, but I mean she has the worst case of the flu that I have ever seen.  What that means is there is not anything we can do for her except make sure that she stays hydrated.  She also has an ear infection.  We are lucky there is something we can do for that, if only she would stop throwing up long enough to get some medicine in her.  

The doctor opted to keep the IV in for another day, just in case we have to take her back to the ER.  That night we thought we were out of the woods, since she started playing and laughing with us.  She was almost back to her adorable self.  
Yesterday she took another turn for the worse and decided to throw everything up again.  We didn't know if we should take her back to get more fluids or to take the IV out.  We decided to just watch her for another day and take her today.  Does anybody know how long you can keep an IV in your arm without getting an infection?  
The plan is to take her back to the ER tonight and let them decide what to do with her.  The one major problem with this plan is that I have my first grade program tonight and we can't take her until about 7:30.
If anybody has any suggestions or advice for me on how to get through this, please let me know.  I guess I should count my blessings and realize how lucky I am to have a normally healthy baby.

1 comment:

devanddar said...

No ideas really, just want to say hang in there, she WILL get better! And don't worry about the IV, it will be fine. Jake's little girl got bitten by a dog and got an infection, and she had to wear a 'take-home' IV for a couple of weeks, so Lisa could give her meds through it. That will be fine.
Devin