Thursday, May 15, 2008

Things I learned from a Kite


So today was kite day and as I was outside with 12 first graders i learned a few valuable lessons.
1. There is nothing a little bit of tape can't fix. While we were out there flying kites, I had about three kites break and a couple of kids crying about it. It is amazing that with a couple of inches of tape and a few minutes later, we were all smiles again and back in the game.
2. First graders are really a whole lot more capable than I sometimes give them credit for. I have to admit I was a little bit nervous about going outside with a bunch of first graders to fly kites, but to my surprise they were wonderful. I thought I was going to have to help all twelve of them at one time. To my surprise, as soon as we got outside the kids were running and the kites were soaring.
3. I learned that the winds in Eagle Mountain are actually good for something other than tearing the shingles off your roof. The day was great and the winds were perfect for kite flying.
4. My students really care about each other and are really great at working things out. With so many quarrels and tattle tales throughout the days, weeks and months I was beginning to think that my kids just had it out for each other. i have to admit that I was pleasantly surprised today. At one point two of the kites got tangled together and by the time I got over there to help, the kids were already working it out. They had the kites pulled down and they were beginning to untangle. I had to stand back for a minute and listen to their conversation, wondering all the while if these were really my kids. It was wonderful.

3 comments:

Scott & Christie Lamb said...

I totally agree with everything you just said!! Thanks for coming out with my class to fly kites!! I really had a fun time actually? I'm sure gonna miss you at Pony next year :-(

The Peterson's said...

You are so fun. I did not get kites for my kids this year. Sad! It is nice to know you are enjoying these last few days at Pony!

Laura T said...

I saw you guys out there flying kites, looked like fun! I love the perspective, it made me realize that sometimes we really need to step back see our students in a different light.